Regardless of which prompt you choose, please use the Tag “Research Methods” on your post. Here are the prompts for this week:
For this week’s discussion, I want you to design a research study about a topic you find interesting in psychology. You can choose any topic you would like as long as you relate it to something from our textbook. In your post make sure to do the following:
- List your research question
- State your hypothesis (what you think the outcome would be and why)
- Decide which methodology you would use (i.e., survey, observation, etc.) and explain your choice
- Describe your procedure (what you would have participants do, how you would recruit participants)
Make your research idea something feasible that you could actually do as a student researcher. In other words, assume you have a fairly small budget and a limited amount of time. If you’re a psychology major or minor, you will eventually take Research Methods and have to conduct a research project, so this is great practice to start thinking about what you might want to do.
For your comment on a classmate’s post, I want you to make a suggestion about a way to improve the study he or she described. I also want you to say why the suggestion would be useful.
Mythbusters is a popular TV show on the Discovery Channel which tests popular ideas using scientific methods. The show generally does a pretty good job, but now that you’ve read the chapter and discussed the scientific method, you are in a good position to critique the show. Select one of the mini-myths (short clips from the show) below and critique the methods used to test the myth. Remember, critique means list the strengths and the weaknesses. For each weakness, discuss why it is a problem and suggest a solution.
- Does Weaving Through Traffic Actually Get You to Your Destination Faster?
- Do Waitresses Get Bigger Tips When They Have Bigger Breasts?
- Is Yawning Contagious?
- Is Talking on a Phone While Driving as Dangerous as Driving Drunk?
- Do Beer Goggles Really Exist?
- Is it Dangerous to Drive in Heels?
- Do Men Really Find Blonds More Attractive?
- Are Women Better Than Men at Reading Emotions?
I look forward to seeing what you write!
Header image: CC by Flickr user Caitlinator